Wednesday 4 August 2010

A mothers handbag

Do you remember the days when your handbag held the essentials for the modern woman? You know the kind of stuff, purse, phone, compact, lipstick....the list is quite obvious.


Now I am a mother to a 7 year old (sorry my love, nearly 8 years old) I find my bag is full of weird and wonderful 'stuff'. I seem to have to forage for anything I may require, even somewhat urgently. There is at present, a broken hairband, several scraps of paper with 'I love you mummy', one sock (why?) a moxie girls bracelet, sorry two of those, a sparkly hair grip and the obligatory plaster (probably the only one in the house due to misuse, why do kids want a plaster for even the most minute scratch?). Last but not least, a gazillion scrunched up tissues.

I love being a mum, the complexities of parenting scare the crap out of me, but down to the very core of my being, I love that child of mine. And all the junk that she brings to my world. It's when I am at work and reach into my bag for some essential item and pull out that odd smelly sock that I am reminded of what is important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment